Delia I Lugo
Ph.D., Columbia University, N. Y., 1990
Phone: (787)764-0000x 7480
E-mail: dlugo @upracd.upr.clu.edu
Fax: (787) 764-3875
Field of Interest: Developmental Molecular Neurobiology.
The main thrust of my laboratory is the study of the molecular mechanisms underlying
the process of cell differentiation. Two models of cell differentiation are being used:
- the cerebral cortex
- the pituitary gland. Isolation of new members of various families of transcription
factors is been pursued and the analysis of their expression, regulation, function and
possible target genes are investigated.
Latest Research Project:
- Identification, Cloning and Analysis of Novel Helix-Loop-Helix Transcription Factors
expressed during Cerebral Cortex Differentiation in the Rat.
- Molecular Mechanisms of corticotrophic cell differentiation in the rat.
Major Equipment and Facilities Used: Automatic DNA Sequencer, Thermocycler, cryostat,
fluorescence/polarized light/darkfield microscope, tissue culture facilities, laboratory
animal facilities, dissecting microscope, various types of centrifuges (ultra,
refrigerated, micro), bacterial incubators and others.
- Lugo, D.I. and J.E. Pintar, 1996. Ontogeny of Basal and Regulated Secretion from POMC
Cells of the Developing Anterior Lobe of the Rat Pituitary Gland , Dev. Biol. 173:
- Lugo, D.I. and J. E. Pintar, 1996. Ontogeny of Basal and Regulated POMC-Derived
Peptide Secretion from Fetal Rat Intermediate lobe Cells: Melanotrophs Transiently Express
Functional Glucocorticoid Receptors During Development., Dev. Biol. 173:110-107.
- Lugo, D.I., S-C. Chen, A.K. Hall, R. Ziai, J.L. Hempstead, and J.I. Morgan, 1991. Developmental
Regulation if B-Thymosin in the Rat Central Nervous System. J. Neuro chem. 56:
- Scott, R. E., Autelitano, D.I. Lugo, M. Blum, J. L. Roberts, and E. Pintar, 1990. Developmental
Changes in Levels of Proopiomelanocortin Intron A- Containing Heterogeneous Nuclear RNA
and Mature Messenger RNA in the Anterior and Neuro Intermediate Lobes of the Rat
Pituitary. Molec.Endocrin. 4:812-820.
- Lugo, D.I., J.L. Roberts, and J.E. Pintar, 1989. Analysis of Proopiomelanocortin Gene
Expression in the Developing Rat Pituitary Gland. Molec. Endocrin. 3:1313-1324.
- Eskeland, N.L., D.I. Lugo, J.E. Pintar and B.S. Schachter,1989 Stimulation of B-
Endorphin Secret ion by Corticotropin-Releasing Factor in Primary Leydig Cell Cultures.
Endocrinology 124 :2924-2919.