Catherine N. Duckett
Ph.D., Cornell University, 1993.
Phone: (787) 764-0000 ext. 7558
Fax: (787) 764-3875.
Field of Interest: My major interest lie in the systematics and biogeography of the
flea beetles (Coleoptera: Chrysomelidae), however, I am also interested in general
issues of biodiversity mimicry and the evolution of morphological structures.
My current research focuses on the phylogeny and biogeography of the Oedionychina, a
group which evolved either in the supercontinent of Gondwanda or posteriorly on one of the
modern continents. The goals of this study are the following: (1) to conduct modern
systematic analysis of the 26 genera of Oedionychina using cladistic methodology. (2)
Construction of an 'area cladogram' which will be used to test the hypotheses of
vicariance or dispersal in explaining the distribution of Oedionychina genera using the
methods of cladistic biogeography; (3) Development of character systems not previously
used in Chrysomelidae, such as microscopic characters of mouth parts and the sensilla of
the reproductive system using scanning electron microscopy; and to study evolutionary
trends in those character systems.
For my research I rely heavily on techniques of light and scanning electron microscopy
for traditional studies of morphological characters. In the future I expect to have
graduate students using morphological and molecular techniques.
- Duckett, C.N. Sandra Moyá. A new species of Ptocadica Harold (Chrysomelidae:
Alticini) from Costa Rica. Coleopterist's Bulletin. In Press
- Duckett, C.N. 1999. A preliminary cladistic analysis of the subtribe Disonychina with
special emphasis on the series Paralactica (Chrysomelidae: Galerucinae:Alticini).
In: Biology of Chrysomelidae. Volume VI, M.L. Cox, Ed. Backhyus Publishers, Leiden,
The Netherlands, pp. 105-136.
- Z. Swigonova and C.N. Duckett 1998. The Mid-Atlantic states field trip. Chrysomela 36:7.
- Duckett, C.N. 1998. Looking for larvae in Brazil. Chrysomela 35. 8-9.
- Casari, S.A. and C.N.Duckett. 1997. (1998) A description of immature stages of two
species of Pseudolampsis (Coleoptera: Chrysomelidae) and a new combination in the
genus. Journal of the New York Entomological Society. 105: 50-64.
- Duckett, C.N. 1997. The scientific method and the predictive value of classification.
Chrysomela, 34: 3-4.
- Duckett, C.N. 1996. Balzanica, new synonym of Genus Disonycha. Chevrolat.
Coleopterists Bulletin 102: 339-341.
- Duckett, C.N. 1996. O. Jeito Brasilero. Chrysomela, 32: 4-5.
- Duckett, C.N. 1996. A visit MIZA at Maracay. Chrysomela, 32:8.
- Duckett, C. N., 1995. Variation in reproductive structure. Chrysomela. 29: 4-5.
- Duckett, C.N., 1995. Etapocanga, a new genus of Alticinae (Coleoptera:
Chrysomelidae) from the Amazon basin, with descriptions of two new species. Journal of the
New York Entomological Society 102 (3): 344-349.
- Furth, D.G., Askevold, I. and Duckett, C.N., 1994. Discovery and designation of types
for 16 species of Chrysomelidae described by E. von Harold, 1875. Psyche 101: 19-32.
- Duckett, C.N., 1992. New synonymy in genus Phenrica. Coleopterists Bulletin, 46